Monday, June 11, 2012


Journal #1: My attitude, beliefs, and feelings towards New York City

            After twenty two years of being on this earth, it is still hard to believe that the greatest city in the nation is in my backyard of Long Island. Every year my mom would buy tickets to go see a Broadway musical around Christmas time. Of course she had to buy the buy one get one free tickets, in order for my family of six to see the show. It is tradition to stop and see Saint Patricks’ Cathedral, the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall, and the lighting of the Christmas tree.  In one aspect, my attitude towards NYC is close minded, because this has always been my image of NYC. I think of the horns of the taxi cabs beeping, the clip clop of the horses on Fifth Avenue, and the homeless people at Penn Station. I realize this is not all that NYC has to offer. After reading the syllabus, I honestly did not know that there were so many sites and places to visit. I never associated Brooklyn and Queens to be part of what I thought was NYC. I can’t wait to dig deeper into NYC and see what it really has to offer        

            I want to appreciate the architecture and the history of the cathedrals, monuments, and structures that stand in the city. When I think of architecture, the Statue of Liberty, Freedom Tower, and the Empire State building are the structures that stand out in my mind. I hope that this class will help me to explore “the less popular” buildings and their significance to NYC.

            I know that there are many famous restaurants that the city has to offer. When I walk through city there are countless options of culturally diverse food. I personally love to eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp and Serendipity because they take dining to a whole new experience.        

Walking down the streets of NYC I see people of different fashions and styles. The vibe of NYC gives people the right to dress and act in a way where they can express themselves. When I attend a Broadway show, I’m in awe of the costumes and makeup of all the characters. The actors make you feel as if you’re part of the show. While attending a concert or game at Madison Square Garden, I think of all the famous people who have performed there. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be a performer, like Lady Gaga, who performs on a NYC stage. It’s hard to believe such a beautiful park is in the middle of a metropolitan area. Who would ever think Central Park, a place with beautiful green gardens and scenic lake, would be in the middle of this busy city!

            I am walking into this class with an open mind. I want to experience every aspect of NYC. I want to be able to take the subway and be confident that I am on the right train. NYC has so much to offer and I know this class will help me to understand every borough and become educated on what the Big Apple truly has to offer!

1 comment:

  1. 25/25

    You dis everything I expected you to do and then some. Your posts are interesting, thorough, and nicely documented. You got the highest grade in the class on this and deserve it.

    ReplyDelete