Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Journal #2: The Quixotic Queens

            My alarm woke me at 7:00 am this morning. I had all of my clothes picked out the night before and made sure I bought a rain coat. I looked out the window hoping for sunny skies, but to my disappointment there were only clouds. Even though the day started off cloudy I was ready for this experience. I knew this class was going to be the highlight of my summer and no cloudy day was going to rain on my parade! Maria and I arrived at the Valley Stream train station to catch a 9:18 am train to Penn Station. It was an early start, but I don’t know my way around Penn Station  and definitely did not want to be late. So, I grabbed a bite to eat and met all of my classmates. Mike and Damian met us in front of the ticket window at Penn Station. Mike informed us of what we were going to do for the day and then we were off to our adventure.

            As a class we all boarded the 7 subway train. This train was labeled as the international express because it ran through various ethnic communities (BG, 493). This was exciting for me because I rarely take the subway when I am in the city. I was always afraid I would take the wrong train or get off at the wrong stop. Thank goodness this class will help me learn the subway lines better. We then arrived at Willet’s point and were able to see Citi Field. As I got off the train, I couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief. I kept up with the class; I didn’t get lost, and made it to the first destination. As we walked into the gorgeous Flushing Meadow Park, I realized I stuck out like a sore thumb. Mike proceeded to tell us that this part of the city was predominantly Hispanic. Flushing Meadow Park serves as a field for Latin and South American Soccer and also hosts games for Dominican Softball. As I walked through the park I admired how beautiful it really was. The park had stunning flowers and trees that lined the walkway. It was amazing to think that this park used to be salt marshes at one time. By the 1920’s loads of trash was piled on the swamp until 1939-40, when Robert Moses transformed the marshland into the grounds for the World’s Fair (BG, 497). I then made my way past the incredible Unisphere. The Unisphere was absolutely breath taking, as it stood 12 stories high, 120 ft in diameter, and 700,000 lbs of stainless steel (BG, 497). The beautiful structure represented “Man’s Achievements on a Shrinking Globe in an Expanding Universe (BG, 497).” I could have stood there all day long compiling thoughts of how hard it probably was to build this structure and how much time went into the idea. It really was magnificent. We then made our way into the Queens Museum of Art. We walked into a room where we were able to look at the Watershed Relief map. This showed the city’s water supply system. Our tour guide educated me that a watershed is when the water flows to the lowest point, such as rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and eventually the ocean. This is how NYC gets its water supply. I was surprised to find out NYC uses 1.1 billion gallons of water a day. I was also intrigued on the fact that NYC is 1 of 4 major cities that does not have to do much to clean their water. The only element that is added to the water is chlorine. As the water flows through the Hudson valley, it becomes purified and is one of the cleanest sources of water a city can get. We then made our way to the Panorama. Robert Moses ordered that an architectural model of the city be made for the 1964 World’s Fair. The Panorama contained 895,000 buildings, before 1992 when it was updated. It contained every building constructed in each of the five boroughs (BG, 498). The Panorama was exquisite. It was like a smaller version of NYC in one room. Every body of water, structure, and building was right on point and put specifically in its own place. It was remarkable that the Panorama has stayed in such great condition since 1964.

            On our way back through the city, we walked through Jackson Heights. I was relieved to find out we were having Lunch. Mike proceeded to tell us that we were having Indian food. I was really interested in trying this new cuisine, since I have never eaten it before. I fell in love with the spiciness of the food. Every bite was a different taste. The chicken melted in your mouth and the yogurt was perfect to ease the strength of the other foods. Although I did not try the goat, I expanded my horizons and definitely would eat it again if I had the chance.

            We then made our way to Astoria. I was excited because we were visiting the Queens Museum of the Moving Image. The title of the museum baffled me, because I didn’t really know what the museum was all about. When I saw the movies on the wall, it all started to make sense. The Queens Museum of the Moving Image helps to educate and inform people on the art, history, technique, and technology of film, television, and digital media. I was perplexed to find that The Museum of the Moving Image was one of the biggest tourist attractions in Queens (PG,499). I guess it would make sense to have this specific museum in Queens, since Astoria was the center of the film making industry before WWII (PG,499). My favorite part of the museum was the sound room. It showed how to add different voices to different characters on the screen. I was able to be the voice of the pig in the movie Babe. I was also able to see how different faces were made for certain movies, such as the Elephant Man.       It was also interesting to see the different types of guns they used in Men and Black. If it hadn’t been for this class I would have never known that this museum was in Queens, and I probably would have never been able to experience it. Unfortunately, the weather was not on our side and we were not able to visit Long Island City. I hope that we will be able to visit the 5Pointz at some point during the class. If not, I will definitely be visiting on my own to understand the art of graffiti. At this point Mike dismissed the class and my adventure of the “Quixotic Queens” was over.



            Around 8:30 pm Maria and I sat on the train back to Valley Stream. On our way back, all I could think about was the fact that I am 22 years old and have never even thought to visit any of these places. In one day I have experienced more of Queens then I ever have. I truly know now that this class will be like no other. It has already broadened my thoughts on NYC and I’m excited to see what the Brooklyn adventure will be like on Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment