Sunday, July 1, 2012


Journal #5: The Wild Westside

            “What a Beautiful day.” Those were the first words that I said as I got into Maria’s car so that her husband could drive us to Penn Station. As usual, we arrived early and ate breakfast at the European Café. Once again, if you want a delicious bagel or breakfast burrito for a great cost, you have to try it out! I would recommend it for anyone traveling in the city! We met the rest of the students and the professors and were off to start our day!



            As I walked up the stairs from Penn Station to the street the sun was shining and I was actually really excited to walk. Mike told us that we were on our way to NBC studios for a tour. How exciting!!! I could not wait to see where all the action from television takes place. As we walked down Broadway, I saw that people were eating and reading the newspaper in the middle of the street. How bazar? Mike Proceeded to tell us that this was a pedestrian zone, which is also very popular in Europe.

 A pedestrian zone is an area where cars are not allowed to drive through. People can sit, have coffee, and take a break from the hectic city life. Mike Bloomberg announced that the pedestrian zone was going to be made permanent because of the drop in traffic injuries, an increase in taxi cab use, and the utilization of city space for the residents. He stated “New York has fallen behind its city competitors around the globe.” This pedestrian zone will help NYC to catch up in the modernization of the streets. Times Square is a place where people from all over the world want to experience. Before 1904, Times Square was known as Longacre Square. It was “dominated by horse exchanges, carriage factories, stables, and blacksmiths’ shops (BG, 217).”


With my obsession of horses, I definitely would have loved to live during this time. In 1904 the New York Times had a publisher who was able to persuade the city to rename it Times Square (BG, 217). Thank goodness this happened. I mean seriously, Longacre Square? When I think of this famous part of the city, the New Year ball drop always comes to mind. In 1904, Adolph Ochs celebrated the paper’s appearance with all day festivities and a firework show. This was during the same time as the New Year. Unfortunately, two years later fireworks were banned. Ochs then came up with the idea to lower a wooden and iron ball with 100 25-watt light bulbs from the buildings flagpole (BG, 221). This ball has now evolved into a beautiful crystal sphere, which brings in the New Year with kissing, laughter, and engagements every year in the big apple.

 Before we went to NBC Studios, we were able to see where the famous ice skating rink and tree is every year during Christmas time. I have actually visited Rockefeller Center often because my boyfriend’s father works for the Rockefellers. This is what I have always considered the big apple to be. Rockefeller Center is “a complex of commercial buildings, theaters, plazas, underground concourses, and shops developed principally during the Depression, is the world’s largest privately-owned business and entertainment center (BG, 243).”


  We then made our way to NBC studios. I was so excited! NBC hosts some of the biggest shows on television, such as Dr. Oz, The Voice, and America’s Got Talent. I was surprised when I found out that NBC Studios has offered a tour since 1933. During the first half of our tour, we watched a movie which showed us all of the shows and movies NBC has offered through the times. Mike said it perfectly by stating “It was the biggest propaganda shoot I have ever watched.” We then made way to the room where the news was broadcasted. I learned some interesting things like the screen behind the broadcasters is not the real city. It is just a picture that plays over and over again. I also learned that they use over 1000 lights to make the lightening perfect in the room. It is a little over the top if you ask me. The tour guides tried to be funny; I would have rather learned more about the history of the studio. Anyways, we then saw the room where Dr. Oz shoots his show. This was kind of exciting because I happen to love that show (considering I am going to be a nurse one day). Other than seeing the room and learning that germs accumulate on a person’s bag overtime, we didn’t learn much about the “root” of NBC.    There was one really cool thing that I got to do when the tour was almost over. I was able to broadcast the weekly weather! It defiantly is not as easy as it looks! You have to point backwards, try not to look at the camera, and put some personality into what you’re saying. Honestly, I was a little embarrassed and didn’t know what I was volunteering myself for, but I was happy with the end product. After the tour, we all met outside of the studio. We all agreed that we would have much rather learned more about the studio, then see where all the famous people performed.



After all the excitement, I sure was getting hungry. Thankfully, mike told us it was time for lunch!! WOOOHOOO!! We ate this great Thai food place called YUM YUM. I NEVER thought I would love Thai food as much as I do. Mike and Damian have exposed me to a whole new world of culturally diverse food. I decided to have the dumplings and fried beef with chili sauce. It was delicious! I was afraid that it was going to be deep fried, but it was the opposite. It was crispy, sweet, and spicy all at the same time. I definitely will NOT pass on Thai food when I am given the chance. I’m kind of upset that it has taken me 22 years to actually try it!



            Our next stop was Harlem. Oh Boy! In 1658, the Dutch were attracted to Harlem for its fertile soil and the advantages of the land. In the 18th and 19th centuries, farmers and wealthy merchants were attracted to the area and began to build mansions and estates of all kinds (BG, 437). By the 1920’s, “its black population increased from 83, 248 to 203, 894 with a density of 236 people per acre, twice that of the rest of the city (BG, 438).” My perception of Harlem has always been one of crime. I knew I needed to keep an open mind in order to get the full effect of this area. As soon as we stepped off the subway, I was pleasantly surprised. It was exciting and new for me. There were vendors, music, and people who were proud to call themselves “Harlemnites”. We met our tour guide, who was very informative and extremely intellectual. You could tell how much Harlem meant to him and how much he really loved the neighborhood.

We first learned about the Apollo Theatre. Ironically, the Apollo theatre was for whites only, when the neighborhood was largely Jewish and German. Fortunately, as the neighborhood started to change so did the theatre that would eventually become a star producing machine (BG, 440). The Apollo Theatre foundation is a non for profit organization that was founded in 1991 that is committed to the preservation and progress of the theatre, which has been the home of where legacies have been made.  Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and Jimi Hendrix are just some of the stars who have performed on the Apollo Stage. Our tour guide informed us that every Wednesday is amateur night, where another legacy may be found. In 1991, the state of New York bought the theatre. The building has been updated so that people in years to come will always be able to enjoy the theatre (BG, 440).  We then passed another building, which Bill Clinton occupies an entire floor. Who would have thought that the Nation’s past president would be working in a building in the middle of Harlem.

 We then passed Hotel Theresa where Fidel Castro stayed on his first visit to the United Nations. We made our way past Silvia’s Lounge, where people like Mary J Blouge and Justin Timberlake have shot their videos there. At this point I was becoming exhausted. My feet were done and the sunburn was starting to set in. So as the tour progressed I bought an ice from one of the stands. I chose coconut, which really energized and had me ready to go for the next stop. It was a dollar for two scoops! How could you go wrong? We learned about how Harlem is becoming gentrified.



It is an extremely controversial issue because people, who have been living in this community for years, are being kicked out. The result of Gentrification is a 4 million dollar unit in the middle of Harlem. We then made our way towards Mount Morris Park. It was beautiful. Children were playing basketball, jumping rope, and climbing on the monkey bars. This lovely park was established in 1839. Because the terrain was rocky and inappropriate for building, the park was able to be constructed. In 1973, the park was renamed to honor a man Garvey. He was an appealing black leader who was fond of “titles and prerogatives”. He arrived in Harlem in 1914 from the West Indies. The park was ultimately dedicated to him for the progression of his race (BG, 439). 



 After climbing a million steps and observing a beautiful view, we were able to visit Harriot Tubmans statute. Harriet Tubman's life “was a monument to courage and determination that continues to stand out in American history. Born into slavery in Maryland, Harriet Tubman freed herself, and played a major role in freeing the remaining millions.” The monument spoke of just that. It was truly breathtaking to see how this art piece depicted the struggles in her life and how she dedicated her life to helping others.

We made our way passed the Riverside church, which is huge!! The architecture and sculpting of this church was spectacular. Our last stop was the tomb of Ulysses S. Grant, who was a successful union commander during the civil war. He served our country as president from 1869 to 1877. The structure that was designed in 1897 by John Duncan and remains the largest mausoleum in North America.  It is unbelievable that I never knew this structure was here. It is a piece of history that I haven’t experienced. Unfortunately, it was closed, but I do hope to visit there one day. 


            As I headed back towards the subway, I thought to myself “This place is not so bad.” I was mad at myself that I could be so close minded to put a “crime tag” on a place that I never visited before. I’m not saying that I would go walk the streets at eleven o’clock at night, but I wouldn’t mind coming back during the day to explore more. The tour guide was amazing and really went into depth about what Harlem was all about. It was an experience that I will never forget and taught me a lesson that you don’t judge a book by its cover in any situation. The class is just about half way over and I’m still so excited to see what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment